Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Technology Autobiography


1. Computer:

I remember receiving my first computer back in 1995 when I was 6 years old.  At that time the major influence it had on me was from computer gaming.  Computer gaming helped me to learn to work with other players, and practice how to accomplish goals that were given to me.  However since that time of 6 years old, computers have influenced me in many ways beyond computer gaming.  Instant messaging, emailing, facebook, and youtube are all a part of my daily life these days.  Without these components my life would be severely differently from what it is now.

Positive influences of Computers:  
- Allows me easy connection to people from all over the world
- Gives me unlimited ways to express myself
- If there is any information or anything I want to find, I feel confident to find it through a computer
- Entertainment can be found in an instant
- Gives me resources to feel equal in the amount of oppertunites that I have
- It feels like everything I need is at my fingertips

Negative influences of Computers:
- At times lose confidence to communicate face to face
- Too many opinions and information don't know what to trust
- Causes a lot of miscommunication
- Creates a lack of genuine relationships
- My mind becomes shaped to the popular culture being advertised

Computers have helped me drastically in the way I learn new information.  Unlike school, with the computer their is an unlimited amount of ways that information can be expressed(video, presentations, facts, etc).  Also with the computer all the information is at your fingertips and could be found the instant you have any kind of desire.  The biggest problem is that the information that is being given is many times biased in some way.


2. Television:

Positive influences of Television:
- Has provided with the latest and most popular information
- Gives a basis for common base that I can share with other people
- Allows itself as a connection for many of my relationships
- Provides many opportunities for information I am seeking
- Am able to receive information that inspires me to act

Negative influences of Television:
- Becomes brainwashed to start thinking the same way everybody else is
- The charming people sharing information manipulates my own thought process
- Many times information is given without much motivation to do anything about it, and become jaded
- The information that is being shared is many times not being shared entirely and am mislead


3. Radio:

Positive Influences of Radio:
- Listen to the songs that help me stay connected with people
- Gives me energy to do the things that I want
- Some songs instill inspiring thoughts

Negative Influences of Radio:
- Conforms me to be listening to the same music and that brainwashes me to live the kind of cultural the social media is trying to influence
- Many of the songs give out information that is just unpleasant and dirty


I feel that many the things I mentioned were quite similar to what the children mentioned in the video.  We both shared about how it could be a creative outlet and how information can be attained rapidly and in many forms.  However the children in the video did not share anything negative about how technology is effecting them..

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Raymond,

    I am very happy to hear that you chose the radio as one of your technological autobiography choices. I did not even think of the radio when I was compiling my list. After reading your post, I have realized that the radio has influenced me in many ways. I listen to the radio every day, whether it be music or a talk show. I listen to a lot of political talk shows and these help me keep connected with what is going on in New Jersey and throughout the nation. I remember learning in history class about the first time "War of the Worlds" came on the radio. People who were listening actually believed that Earth was being attacked by aliens! I am ashamed to say that I did not even consider the radio on my top three list. I use this piece of technology everyday. The radio has provided me with hours of entertainment and knowledge and is definitely a piece of technology that deserves recognition

    ReplyDelete