Sunday, December 15, 2013

Physics Documentaries

Physics is a subject that has been developing since the beginning of time.  Physics is all about understanding the world around us, and since no one knows everything about the universe, physics is a subject that is constantly developing.  Being a student learning physics it is extremely important that the students know the history about how everything came to be discovered.  Now with the technology that we have there are countless documentaries that talk about many physicists upon how they contributed to physics.  This is great for students because many physicists come from all different kind of backgrounds and knowing about them can inspire students to believe that anyone can make big contributions to this world.

Nowadays many of the documentaries are easy to access online and are very entertaining to watch.  Many times students do not pay attention to these kinds of documentaries, but with the technology that we have now, the documentaries are inspiring to watch.  Especially with physics, it talks about very big things such as planets and very small things such as electrons and it is impossible to show all of these things without movies.  Documentaries and movies about physics allows for more students to be able to see more of what physics is and gives them the potential to want to learn about it.  Physics is extremely exciting and intriguing it focuses on life’s questions.  However without being able to introduce what physics is in an engaging way it does not give opportunities to students to want to learn about physics unless they already have a natural interest in it.  As a student I never wanted to learn physics because of all the scary things I heard about it from other students, but after I was forced to take a course in it and saw some documentaries I was hooked to learn more about it.

2 comments:

  1. Growing up I hated any science classes, especially Physics. They were always extremely boring and it was so difficult for me to keep my eyes open. Because I was not intrigued in the class I would do very poorly on my homework and tests. I wonder if my teachers had incorporated these technologies if I would have been more interested in learning. This is a great idea and I can imagine it working very well for both the teacher and the students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always loved my science classes, particularly physics. When my teacher would demonstrate amazing phenomenons I was absolutely engaged and enthusiastic to learn. In my school experiences much like yours, students often talked other students out of taking physics because too difficult. However, I think this is slowly changing. It may be because of all the recent discoveries made in science, or it just might be because of the show "The Big Bang Theory". Either way, this is a great thing. Videos can be very beneficial in a physics class, it just needs to be utilized correctly.

    ReplyDelete