Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Online Grading

As a student I was always annoyed with never knowing what I was going to be receiving for my report card each marking period.  I seemed to always be guessing, and either become delighted or disappointed when the time came.  Nowadays most schools have a system where teachers can post grades online and students can receive their results as soon as the teacher grades them.  These grades can then be accessed by students and teachers right away.  When I first heard about this I thought it was a great idea for students, parents, and teachers.
As a student they will never be in the dark about how they are doing or what to expect in their coming report card.  They will be able to see what grades they have and also be able to know how much they need to study or how well they need to do on the next test to get the final grade that they desire.  The students would no longer complain or try to fight their grades, because the grades are all clearly shown online.  If ever the teacher makes a mistake recording a grade for a paper or forgets to record certain information the student can talk to the teacher about it and help him/her be aware of it.

From a parent point of view, when the report card finally comes into the mail it should never be a surprise what their child is going to receive.  The parent can constantly be aware of how their child is doing and help motivate them if they are falling behind or not doing well.  Also many times students do not report grades to their parents, but with online grading forging signatures is no longer a problem that parents need to face.  Lastly with certain online grading systems teachers can write comments upon each grade to help clarify and communicate the reason why an individual student received the grade that did, this would help not only the student realize what he/she needs to do in the future, but also the parent.

3 comments:

  1. Raymond,
    I had a similar experience as a student where I was never really sure what my grades would be on my report card at the end of a marking period. I would always ask my teachers to stay updated but it was still very unexpected when I got the final grade that was on the report card. I think online grading is very important to use in the classroom because like you said, it is convenient for not only the student but for the parents and teachers as well. It is important for the parents to be updated on the students grades as much as possible. By having online grading, a more organized and efficient system can be in place. I really agree that this kind of technology will make the grading system much better for everyone involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you shared this with the class! I am not sure if all districts are using the same program, but the one my brother's school is using is called PowerSchool. I wish that I had this program when I was in elementary school and in high school, because as soon as a test or paper is graded, the grade is automatically displayed. Not only do teachers and students have access to it, but so do parents. Parents can create an account and get email notifications when something new is posted. There is even an app available so that parents have access to their child's grades from anywhere! There is also a section that allows teachers to provide comments and feedbacks. The parents can even send their child's teachers an email.
    One last thing that I would like to add is that parents also have access to their child's attendance records. They can see exactly when a student is absent or tardy.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This absolutely benefits the teacher, students, and parents. As a student it can be frustrating putting in the work and not be sure of the outcome for months at a time, as you mention. I have also experienced this and have still experience this when professors do not utilize the grading technology that is provided.
    This is a great benefit for students because then can take a more active role in they grades and success in school. Teachers can have better communication with parents. As you mentioned, "From a parent point of view, when the report card finally comes into the mail it should never be a surprise what their child is going to receive.", I think this is an important component in the students success. Parents can then take an active role in their child's learning and success. A parent can inquire about their child's current standing in grades if their grades are poor and can work with the teacher to find ways to help that student! Finding solutions for the student before the grades are set in stone!

    ReplyDelete